[HamWAN PSDR] Technical info about hamwan

Ron van Herk ron at cymtv.com
Tue Oct 23 15:46:07 PDT 2018

Hi Nigel,

> Looks like I missed you by just a minute or two in IRC. We use what are essentially high power 5.9GHz wifi radios with directional antennas to form the network.

That’s ok, I will try to drop by tomorrow again - timezone differences are not helping ;-)

> The very long distances are possible, but come from very very high gain very directional antennas with clear line of sight.
>
> It is essentially an internet connection, though the amateur radio rules we are governed by in the united states bar encryption or use for commercial interests, so we can’t use it directly as a replacement for what you’d usually get from your local ISP. It’s two way, just like usual wifi would be.

Ah ok, I see.

> 150Mbps is a bit of a yes and no, some of our backbone links that tie different cell sites together certainly do run well north of 100mbps or more. However, due to the wireless spectrum available, and power/signal strength considerations, connections to users usually max out around 10-20mbps assuming very good signals. Poorer signals will necessarily be slower than that.

Ok, that is very interesting!

Sorry for all the questions btw ;-)

The main reason for my interest in this technology, is that our company is looking for a solution for one of our customers. They are looking for a way to bring television services into an African country. Satellite is already there, but too expensive and too limited because of available bandwidth on the transponders, DVB-T2 (comparable to ATSC) is being introduced there but getting along very slowly and also very limited in available channel space.

Our company’s main expertise is in the OTT / IPTV field. We use p2p-assisted internet streaming technology to stream TV channels and live feeds (from events etc.) over the web. We are working currently in Egypt and Paraguay to build end-to-end OTT/IPTV platforms based on our technologies, and we are also deploying our technology currently with partners such as the German RTL, the Filmbox channels and even with NASA ;-) We try to find creative (and often disruptive) ways to reach a certain technological goal, so to speak ;-)

I remembered HAM radio and SSTV initiatives so I started looking on the web, and so I came to your project.

Theoretically, if we were to set up a similar network such as yours from scratch, in an African country, using it primarily for IP-broadcasting of TV channels (using i.e. 600 kbit/s H265 streams to reach SD quality TV images) and secondarily for internet access (i.e. restricted to 5 mbit/s), would this technology be useable?

Best regards,
Ron