[HamWAN PSDR] New to HAMWAN (NE Portland)

Carl carl at n7kuw.com
Wed Sep 5 09:47:19 PDT 2018

Hello Kent,

Please keep in mind, it is strictly prohibited (by Federal regulation) to do any kind of business/commerce over amateur radio (which includes HamWAN), and further, no encryption of any kind is permitted over amateur radio.  For these reasons, you cannot utilize HamWAN for commercial purposes, even in a disaster/emergency scenario.

As to your location and getting HamWAN, the various sector locations are clearly identified on the HamWAN website. I’m going to guess that possibly Capitol Park (a few blocks north of Kaiser Permanente (Group Health) might be your best possibility.

As to a connection to your mother – you won’t get a direct line of sight connection, however her house may permit connection to a HamWAN sector (possibly Capitol Peak or BawFAW?). However, to have an installation/connection there would of course require your mother to hold an amateur radio license also.  Every HamWAN client dish must be programmed with that operator’s amateur call sign, which is sent as part of the data packets transmitted to comply with FCC ID requirements.

As to “rural ham radio operators becoming the internet providers”, again that can only be to other amateur operators, and that can only be for amateur radio communications – no business, commerce, or encryption. You can’t even connect to an https:// connection, just http://

Carl, N7KUW