[HamWAN PSDR] Firewall Changes for HamWAN

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at k7nvh.com
Thu Apr 24 22:14:04 PDT 2014

Hello All!

Tonight myself and the other admins have spent some time working on improving the firewall implemented at our edge routers to help improve security and compliance, and I installed them on both edges a short time ago.

We are now at this point implementing a default block of traffic coming in from the internet at large, unless specifically exempted.

What does this mean for you?
1. For most things, you should not notice this change at all. Anything you request from your hamwan connection should work fine as the response will be related to your connection.
2. If you want to be able to reach a service you have on your hamwan connection from the internet at large, please let myself or another admin know, and we can add that to the known exceptions. This is a temporary state until we can get a web interface for managing your HamWAN DNS and firewall rules.
3. If you do notice any problems, please reach out to us. The best is via the #hamwan channel on irc.freenode.net, but email will work as well.

Thanks,
Nigel
K7NVH