[HamWAN PSDR] hostname on ampr.org?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 23:09:35 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.net> wrote:
> Now that I have an IP address (albeit DHCP) on HamWAN, how do I assign an
> ampr.org DNS hostname to it, and (if feasible) a reverse IP DNS entry?  Do
> I:
>
> Contact someone here?
> Contact John Hays (the owner of 44.24.0.0/16)?
> Need a fixed IP address for these features?

Dean,

This is a really good question. DNS is an essential service for a
network. It makes higher-level services much more useful (who want's
to memorize IP addresses? Okay... other than me!). HamWAN plans to let
you create *.hamwan.net hostnames. At the moment, the DNS servers are
running (redundant, at multiple sites), but there's no user interface
for people like you to add entries. Only a few records have been
manually entered.

For reverse DNS, Brian Kantor needs to configure the AMPR DNS servers
to delegate HamWAN's subnet to HamWAN's DNS servers. He hasn't figured
out a way to integrate this into his DNS system yet.

Okay, finally an answer to your question: *.ampr.org hostnames must be
assigned via AMPR's email robot. Your email address will need to be in
the whitelist for this to work. I think this boils down to asking John
Hays to add the record for you.

It's probably best to work with Bart to get a static IP address(es)
first. In a previous email, I think he asked you if you'd like to
experiment with static address assignment. I suspect this will involve
BGP, so your subnet will roam with you to whatever HamWAN node you
connect to.

Tom KD7LXL