[HamWAN PSDR] DNS mapping

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Sat May 17 01:26:05 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-16 08:22, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.com> wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> OK, now I need to "reinstate" my LoTW cert (actually, apply for a new one)
> If you still have the username/password or email address (to receive a password reset), getting a new one signed is really fast. The slow part of the process is receiving the postcard in the mail, which you shouldn't have to do again.
>
> We'll eventually support our own HamWAN certificate authority. ARRL was the first popular certificate authority to embed callsigns in the certificates. They put the callsign under "1.3.6.1.4.1.12348.1.1". We plan to release some instructions for generating a certificate and certificate signing request with your callsign embedded at that location. Then we'll sign certificates after verifying your license.  It's very convenient that the ARRL already does this for us, for free.
>
> Tom KD7LXL

 1. My last certificate was from 2009, and when I tried to login to the
    LoTW site with my name/password, it didn't know me.
 2. The ARRL/LoTW sites gave no hint (that I could find) as to how to
    renew an expired certificate, so I downloaded the current version of
    the LoTW software, installed it, and attempted to load my most
    recent (expired) certificate.
 3. The LoTW program said /"Na-ne, na-ne, na-ne, you can only load this
    certificate on the computer it was created on."/
 4. The ARRL site described how to "backup" a certificate on the
    original computer, so that you could move it to a new computer.
 5. Fortunately, I keep old Windows computers around for (ha-ha)
    sentimental reasons, so I fired up what I thought was the
    originating computer.  Success!  The old LoTW software was there,
    and when I fired it up, it found the certificate, only to say,
    /"Na-ne, na-ne, na-ne, this certificate is expired, and we certainly
    won't load it for you."/
 6. So, I installed the *new* LoTW software on the *old* computer, and
    presto, there was the "backup" option. Furthermore, the new LoTW
    software even deigned to load the expired certificate, so I backed
    it up pronto.  Further, the "renew" option was no longer grayed
    out.  This looked suspiciously promising.
 7. So, I "restored" the backup file on my regular Windows computer, and
    clicked on "renew" in the LoTW software.  I only had to erase the
    QSL end date and change my eMail address, and I successfully
    submitted the renewal request.

The LoTW software gave no indication as to whether I will need to await
a postcard, so we shall see ...