[HamWAN PSDR] KU7M and his dBm

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Sat May 24 09:03:15 PDT 2014

Kenny, I note that both you and I have the "ledge" of the base of the
antenna to the right.  I wonder if whatever is in the plastic "knob" at
the end of the antenna stalk has a little vertical loop or other
non-symmetrical element in it, that alters the takeoff angle? I'm not
about to reorient my antenna on its mast, but if you are interested in
doing it on yours ...

I have previously assumed that my "beam" (which is aimed vertically to
just clear the roof of the nearby house) just strikes enough
leaves/branches/water tower on its path to deflect a portion of the
signal back down so as to reach Paine.  I still think that's what it is,
especially after Bart's comment that a clear shot might get me another
20-30dB.

ps: In my previous analysis of the mathematically-correct takeoff angle
for my antenna, I forgot to include the curvature of the earth.  In my
case (5 miles to the Paine), it effectively reduces the "rise" by 16.5
feet (about a 5% error in the angle, not a significant factor in the
calculation).