[HamWAN PSDR] Beacon Tower-Capital Park Backbone Link

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Sun Apr 1 01:11:11 PDT 2018

I wondered if there is some consensus on practical options to implement the
Capital Park-Beacon Link?
I've tried to sum these up into bins/options based on the thread info and
what I'm aware of.

Is this about right, or are there other combinations?
Do any of these fit/make sense more than others?

Option A:
We put 24 GHz between Seattle EOC<-->Beacon, and then use the 5.8 GHz
intended for the EOC link as dedicated Beacon<-->Capital Park link.
(ie: a pair of UBNT Airfiber 24 radios)

Option B:
We continue with the Seattle EOC<-->Beacon link as currently designed, and
plan a new 3 GHz UBNT link between Capital Park and Beacon.
*This might screw up Bart's announced plan for a 3 Ghz Link Beacon to
Haystack.

Option C:
We continue with the Seattle EOC<-->Beacon link as currently designed, we
help Bart implement the 3GHz link Beacon to Haystack, and then re-use the
current 5 GHz Beacon dish (pointing at Haystack) as a new Capital Park<-->
Beacon link. (assuming we have enough 5 GHz spectrum to do that)

Option D:
We continue with the Seattle EOC<-->Beacon link as currently designed, and
use 10 GHz Mimosa link between Capital Park and Beacon.
($$, but maybe. I think it's too far for 24 GHz.)

Option E:
UBNT AF24 Seattle EOC<-->Beacon, AND Mimosa 10GHz Beacon Tower<-->Capital
Park
*Assumes we win the lottery or otherwise find $8,000. Probably not
practical, but we'd have a hack of a fast backbone and demonstrate use on
10 and 24 GHz ham bands.

Best,
Randy

>>> http://bryanfields.net