[HamWAN PSDR] Request for mentor(s) for HamWAN installation on my condo roof

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Thu Jun 7 12:29:53 PDT 2018

Hello John,

The key factor is if you have visibility to one of our sites. 5.9 GHz is very line-of-sight, a tree or two *might* work, lots of trees or a landform and it’s not going to get through. Since you’re downtown, we have occasionally seen bounces off of other buildings work, so you’ll want to try turning your dish in various directions to see what sort of signal you can get.

All of the client hardware we recommend is listed here: http://hamwan.org/Standards/Component%20Engineering/Client%20Hardware.html <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Component%20Engineering/Client%20Hardware.html> I would suggest you get a MIMO capable setup. More gain is better, so get the most you can within your budget. The downside to downtown is there is a lot of other wifi signals around. If you can afford it, a shielded setup like the second option in the list may help keep unwanted signals out.

Once you have the gear, the configuration is laid out step by step here: http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Client%20Node%20Configuration.html <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Client%20Node%20Configuration.html> We try to make that fairly easy to follow, but if there are issues, let us know.

Once you have those, it’s a matter of turning it on, and pointing it around to find your best signal. Once you have that, you’re good to go.

Nigel