[HamWAN PSDR] Client nodes in Clark County

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Thu Jun 14 09:01:38 PDT 2018

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Larch Mountain site is now online. We still need to visit Baw Faw
to re-aim the dish toward Larch before the backbone between Portland and
Seattle will work well, but the Larch end is complete. I haven't generated
the updated coverage map and added it to the website yet. Areas of Clark
and Multnomah Counties with a clear view of Larch should be able to connect.

Maybe Marc is available for your meeting? It's quite a drive for us Puget
Sound area folk, and I'll be out of town this weekend anyway.

If you go to http://hamwan.org/ you'll find a link at the top of the page
"Get Connected". This links to all the pages you'll need to buy and setup a
client.

http://hamwan.org/Standards/Component%20Engineering/Client%20Hardware.html
Shows a number of tested hardware combinations, and has some details about
ordering the international versions which allow you to use the 5.9 GHz ham
band.

http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Client%20Node%20Configuration.html
Has configuration instructions. There are some notes at the bottom about
one way to connect it to your home network. This part is really open ended
and can vary quite a bit depending on what you want to do specifically.

Another antenna was recommended in the chat room yesterday:
https://smile.amazon.com/Altelix-Antenna-Ubiquiti-RocketM5-MikroTik/dp/B079QGF3S2/
Pair with a BaseBox5:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mikrotik-BaseBox-RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT-Outdoor-Wireless/dp/B00GA0DMDQ/
I haven't tried this combination yet myself, but it looks good and we'll
probably add it to the Client Hardware page alongside the others in time.

Aside from an antenna and modem (or integrated combination), you'll need
outdoor ethernet cable and shielded connectors. We use Ubiquiti TC-Pro and
TC-Con[nectors]. I think Marc has a reel of this he might be willing to
sell lengths of.

Tom KD7LXL